Roll Call! The Toca Life Series Gets an Addition, Toca Life: School
- Rebecca Crusoe
Toca Boca releases its newest digital toy, Toca Life: School, on October 29 on the App Store. Toca Life: School is the third app in the popular Toca Life series, and it’s one kids have been waiting for! In it, kids take full control of what happens to the diverse cast of 32 students, staff and pets: They decide what activities take place, when the recess bell rings and even what to serve for lunch.
Toca Life: School marks the third app in the Toca Life series, which has been uniquely created for kids by kids. Following the release of the international chart-topping Toca Life: City in June, a school was the No. 1 location that kids requested, and Toca Boca has heard those fans loud and clear.
Toca Life: School has no scripted scenarios or rules. With five exciting locations, kids can have endless outdoor adventures on the playground, conduct chemistry experiments in the school, hold music lessons or put on a rock show in the youth club, start a food fight in the cafeteria, or just hang out at the house. They can prank friends with stink bombs and send love notes in the classroom. There’s always time for recess in Toca Life: School!
- 32 new characters of different ages and backgrounds and even a few pets, all with a variety of unique expressions
- Five exciting locations: school, house, cafeteria, youth club and playground
- New ways to play including a functioning whiteboard, working fire extinguisher and sprinklers, cafeteria food fights, chemistry experiments, musical instruments, basketball hoops and loads of other hilarious surprises!
- New tools open to all characters such as wheelchairs, lockers and pet accessories — including a puppy that doubles as a hat!
- Screen record up to a two-minute video: both video of the screen and a kid’s voice
- Content channel: Life Weekly (requires an Internet connection) shares fun stories, fan art and cool tips about the Toca Life series
Drawing inspiration from watching a group of kids play with a physical school toy set, Willow Mellbratt, the play designer, wanted to create a digital experience that turned the typical school on its head, putting kids in the role of deciding what to teach, how to play and what stories to tell. “During our play tests, I got a lot of inspiration for play patterns and what locations should be in the school,” said Mellbratt. “The physical play set had no lockers, toilets or a cafeteria, but it was clear kids wanted these in their storytelling so we made sure to include them. We want to give kids all the necessary tools to make their own adventures and tell their own school stories.”
About Toca Boca
Toca Boca, the No. 1 mobile-first kids brand in the App Store, is a play studio that makes digital toys for kids. Since its first product launch in 2011, Toca Boca has released 29 apps that have been downloaded in 215 countries worldwide. With more than 100 million total downloads to date, Toca Boca apps focus on stimulating kids’ imaginations so that they can play and have fun in a safe digital environment. With offices in San Francisco, Stockholm and New York, Toca Boca is part of The Bonnier Group, a family-owned business that includes newspapers, magazines, television, cinemas and digital media. For more information, please visit www.tocaboca.com