- Rebecca Crusoe
You can find bread in a lot of different places. Bakeries, restaurants, supermarkets or your oven. That’s right, your oven! But bread doesn’t just magically appear in ovens. You have to bake it first.
Here’s what you’ll need to bake a loaf of bread:
- 2 ¾ cups of your favorite nuts and seeds
- 2 cups cranberries
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ cup rye flour
- 2 cups wheat flour
- deep pockets
- 1 ¾ cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp baking soda (this is not soda you can drink)
- ⅓ cup dark syrup or honey
- clever hiding places
- ice water
And this is how you do it:
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/350 F. That’s a pretty hot oven, so you should probably put on some shorts or drink some ice water first.
- While the oven is warming up, chop (or smash) the nuts and put them in a bowl with the seeds. Psst, take some nuts and put them away in your pocket. Mix the nuts and the seeds with a spoon. If you don’t have a spoon, you can use your hands.
- In a different bowl, mix the rye flour, wheat flour, salt and baking soda. Now add the yogurt, syrup and cranberries. Stir the mixture. Then you can add the nuts and seeds.
- Keep stirring all of the ingredients together until they become a smooth paste. Pour the paste into a bread pan with parchment paper in it. The paper will allow you to take the bread out when it’s done baking. Otherwise the bread will have to stay in the pan FOREVER.
- Bake it the lower part of the oven. This will take two hours, which, as you know, is a long time. But two hours is the perfect amount of time to play hide and seek. Decide who will count and who will hide. You need to stay in your own neighborhood, so don’t get on a plane or a boat. Go ahead, put your shoes on! Remember, you have your snack in your pocket if you need energy.
- After two hours of playing hide and seek, it’s time to take the bread out of the oven. Make sure you use oven mitts to protect yourself — the bread will be hot! Remove the bread from its mold and let it cool down on a grate under a tea towel.
Enjoy your bread!