DIY Bedtime Stories
By Dana Villamagna, Toca Magazine Writer
When my kids were preschoolers and early elementary school-age, set bedtime routines were vital, but night after night of the same routine got stale. So I started making up stories about them, and it kept us all laughing and creating till the night lights went on. Not a natural actor? No worries. This doesn’t have to be a Masterpiece Theatre-worthy performance. Kids just love hearing stories starring themselves! Include some good-natured humor, channel your best character voices, and use props to capture kids’ attention in a visual way.
- Category: Imaginative Play
- Target age: 4 to 7
- Skill level: N/A
- Materials: Stuff you probably have at home
- Prep time: 1 to 30 minutes
What You’ll Need
- Your imagination!
- Your best character voices.
- Optional: Storytelling props from your kids’ dress-up box or Halloween costumes, such as scarves, hats, a flashlight, mustache, etc., to help you get into character or visually switch characters.