Create Like the Masters
By Dana Villamagna, Toca Magazine Writer
I love the visual arts and the stories of how artists create, but I have no formal art skills. Through years of art play, my kids and I have grown in our love of art and grown more comfortable with the art of imperfection. Sharing my passion for art with my kids in experimental ways makes learning about artists and great works of art fun for all of us — with no pressure to become one or create one!
- Category: Creative and Maker Play
- Target age: 4 and up
- Skill level: Beginner
- Materials: Stuff you can get quickly from the store or delivery
- Prep time: 1 to 30 minutes
What You’ll Need
- Online images of art by your favorite artists and/or iconic artists, or a book of great art. (I use the 1,000-plus page coffee table book “30,000 Years of Art,” as well as “The Art Book for Children” books.)
- Information from books or online about the artist’s life and the methods they used to create their art.
- Art supplies related to your projects.